Friday, March 13, 2015

HISTORIC RECOVERY MESSAGE IN PARLIAMENT

2015.03.12

Mr. Speaker

On January 27th and 28th of this year, individuals from across Canada came together in Ottawa to create a united vision for what addiction recovery means in Canada.

Hosted by CCSA, one of their declared visions was that recovery is real, available, attainable and sustainable.

Mr. Speaker, I bring this to your attention because just over 26 years ago, I took my last drink. My life had spiraled out of control. But, by the grace of God, I stand before you and all Canadians to give hope to all those who still suffer with addiction, that they can find a path which will provide them with a daily reprieve from their addiction.

Today I can tell you that I would not trade my best day drunk for my worst day sober.

Today I reach my hand out to help anyone in need, rather than pushing them away.

But most importantly I accept life as it is not how I think it should be.

May we all come together and support those in recovery.

DAVID WILKS, a retired member of the RCMP, is the Conservative Member of Parliament for Kootenay-Columbia. He received a spontaneous and heartfelt standing ovation from all members in the house for this brief, courageous and historic declaration.

You can see the video here.

No comments:

Post a Comment